- Personally identifiable information may only be obtained through lawful means.
- The purposes for which personally identifiable data are collected shall be specified at or prior to the time of collection, and any subsequent use of the data shall be limited to and consistent with the fulfillment of those purposes previously specified.
- Personal data may not be disclosed, made available, or otherwise used for a purpose other than those specified, except with the consent of the subject of the data, or as required by law or regulation.
- Personal data collected shall be relevant to the purpose for which it is needed.
- The general means by which personal data is protected against loss, unauthorized access, use, modification, or disclosure shall be posted, unless the disclosure of those general means would compromise legitimate agency objectives or law enforcement purposes.
- Prominently posting the policy physically in its offices and on its Internet website, if any;
- Distributing the policy to each of its employees and contractors who have access to personal data;
- Complying with the Information Practices Act (Civil Code Section 1798 et seq.), the Public Records Act (Government Code Section 6250 et seq.), Government Code Section 11015.5, and all other laws pertaining to information privacy, and
Energy Commission Website Privacy
The California Energy Commission adheres to the above mentioned state laws relating to privacy. There are several pages on this website where information may be collected that could be subject to the state's privacy laws and regulations:
- Registration for Research Area peer review
Our research section is broken into two parts - a public area and a peer-review area. Registration is required for the peer review area, which is for use by climate change scientists and researchers to look at discuss research papers before they have been generally circulated. Documents in this area are the opinions of the authors and may not reflect the opinions of the California Energy Commission or the State of California. This peer review area is open to members of the public after registration. Information gathered through the registration process may be used for mailing lists or other methods for contacting the scientific community and those interested in climate change research. Under state regulations, these lists may only be used for the purpose for which they were intended and may not be given out for other uses.
- Bibliographic Suggestion Page
The bibliography suggestion page is an on-line form that allows the public to send suggestions for listings in our bibliographic database. The sender's name and other possible identifying information is deleted after the bibliographic item is considered.
- Links Suggestion Page
Our links suggestion page is an on-line form that allows the public to send suggestions for links to our webmaster. The e-mail and the sender's name and other possible identifying information is deleted after the link is considered.
- Energy Commission list server
Our list server allows the public to sign-up on various automated e-mail lists. The subscribers e-mail addresses are maintained by the webmaster, are kept confidential and not available to the public.
The Commission uses no "cookies" and does not use software for tracking specific visitors to its website.
Also see our website conditions of use page.
For technical problems with or comments about this website contact
California Energy Commission