Land Use Subgroup of the Climate Action Team (LUSCAT)
The Land Use Subgroup of the Climate Action Team (LUSCAT) is tasked with coordinating climate change mitigation and adaptation efforts in cross-cutting areas that are crucial to meeting the state's greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction goals related to local government, transportation, and land-use activities.
The LUSCAT is made up of the following State Agencies:
- California Energy Commission (CEC) (Chair)
- California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal/EPA)
- California Air Resources Board (CARB)
- Business Transportation and Housing Agency (BTH)
- California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)
- California Department of Conservation
- California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB)
- Governor's Office of Planning and Research (OPR)
- California State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB)
- California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)
- California Department of Water Resources (DWR)
- California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD)
- California Transportation Commission (CTC)
- Resources Agency
- California Department of Public Health
- California Department of General Services
The LUSCAT is undertaking the following activities:
- Coordinate state agency activities related to the 2006 CAT Report "Smart Growth Strategies."
- Develop state agency land use and local government strategies for 2008 CAT Report and 2009 Scoping Plan being developed by the California Air Resources Board (ARB).
- Provide a centralized location for stakeholder input regarding the state's local government and land use climate change activities.
- Develop and disseminate tools and resources to assist local governments in their efforts to adopt and implement climate action plans.
The LUSCAT will be meeting several times during 2008 to discuss the elements of the Scoping Plan dealing with land use and transportation. In addition to the series of public workshops, the group anticipates that there will also be separate meetings to discuss individual strategies in more detail. The LUSCAT will then make its recommendations to the statewide plan to reduce GHG emissions.
For more information, please contact:
Advisor to Commissioner Karen Douglas
California Energy Commission
1516 Ninth Street, MS-33
Sacramento, CA 95814